Student Policy Handbook
The Eastern Academy Student Handbook provides details on various college policies and procedures. If you require clarification or additional information please do not hesitate to see your Instructor or Campus Director.
COVID-19 (Corona Virus Update)
Updated March 14, 2020 at 7:30 PM
To the Eastern Academy,
Nothing is more important to Academy Canada than the health and well-being of our students, staff and faculty.
Our current measures take into consideration that the current risk of exposure at Eastern Academy remains low.
However, we do recognize that this is an evolving situation and adjustments may need to be made to our plans in the coming days. We will make these adjustments together in a spirit of collaboration and community responsibility.
We are confident that we will get through this difficult time with understanding and resolve.
As of now and until further notice:
- Eastern Academy will continue with all classes as scheduled. Of course we respect that students will make their own decisions based on their personal comfort level and their own risk assessment at any given time. However, we do ask that students consider that the risk of exposure at Eastern Academy remains low, according to the Chief Medical Officer of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- The following on-site protocol is in place:
- Frequent handwashing is expected as this is the best defence against COVID-19. Posters showing proper handwashing technique is posted near sinks.
- Increased cleaning of “high touch” areas including: doors, door knobs and handles, stair rails, washroom stalls and sink and toilet handles.
- Cleaning supplies are provided in each computer lab, classrooms and shops in order to wipe down keyboards and mice, etc. before use.
- As a general rule we ask that if you are ill, please stay home.
- Anyone returning from international travel is asked to please notify Campus Administration before coming to class.
- If you think you might have COVID-19, call 811 and follow the health care provider’s instructions.
- Students are expected to advise their instructor if they need to stay home and to keep their instructor informed.
Reliable information source include the provincial COVID-19 information website: https://www.gov.nl.ca/covid-19/
Also another good information source is the World Health Organization. Their website is https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public.
Remain calm, follow good hygiene practices and continue to be kind to one another. We are closely monitoring the situation and we will get through this together.
Eastern academy policy on cannabis, alcohol and drug use
Some of you may have been wondering about the College’s policy regarding cannabis after legalization.
We take the safety and security of our students/staff very seriously and are taking measures to ensure that the risk of harm is minimized. To do this, we are reaffirming our firm policy regarding the use of drugs on campus.
Please note that the use of, possession of, or distribution of any amount of cannabis, alcohol or illegal drugs is strictly prohibited on campus grounds at all times (including during and after class hours). Campus grounds include buildings, classrooms/shops, on the exterior grounds or parking lots (including within vehicles).
Students who consume, possess or distribute onsite or come to school under the influence will be asked to leave class/shop immediately and meet with the Campus Administration. Students found in violation of the policy will be subject to disciplinary measures up to and including dismissal from the College and reporting on the permanent school record.
Students who hold a Medical Marijuana Possession License are asked to speak with their Campus Administration for clarification on policies that relate to them specifically.
If you have any questions please feel free to speak with Administration for clarification before considering any activity that may violate college policy.
Thank you for respecting fellow students/staff and their safety.